We’ve updated our Privacy Policy in accordance with changes to data protection laws. If you’d like to read our Privacy Policy, please click here.

Pontypool call was final piece of puzzle for new boy Randall

Monday 27th March 2023

There was a new face in the team against TATA Steel RFC.

Lance Randall came into the second row for his debut, partnering Ashley Sweet who he spent time with playing at Ebbw Vale RFC.

The 29-year-old is good friends with fellow ex-Ebbw men Sweet, Dai Langdon, Cameron Regan and Dai Jones and that helped his decision to join the club when the opportunity arose.

Randall admitted it’s been a tough period personally but the call from Pontypool was the last piece of the puzzle that he needed.

“I spoke to Lewis [Roberts] around Christmas time,” he revealed.

“I left Ebbw Vale due to work commitments and trying to get that work/life balance.

“I started playing rugby locally around Christmas and it was nice to get back playing again but when Lewis asked me to come to play I thought I needed to play at that level again.

“I checked the fixtures and there was like 12 league and possibly two cup games and I thought that was a lot because where I am now they have finished their league.

“I was just getting into it again so it came at the right time.

“Myself, Dagger [Dai Langdon], Ashley [Sweet] and Cameron [Regan] are all close friends and our partners are as well, we do a lot of things away from rugby and Dai [Jones] as well so I thought it was just the perfect group to come to.

“It seems like a good club going in the right place.

“When I was told you’ve got the chance to win the league and play at the Principality Stadium, it just seemed a no-brainer to me.

“It all just seemed to fall into place.

“I’ve been through pretty hard times recently but rugby has been the last thing I’ve needed to get right so it was good when I had the phone call from Pontypool.

“To win the league and go up to the Premiership again and play at the Principality Stadium if we beat Neath, that’s anybody’s dream.”

Those that saw Randall’s first appearance in a Pooler jersey would not have known the difficulties the player experienced in the build up.

“I hadn’t eaten since yesterday midday, I was sick all night and sick all morning,” said Randall, straight after the game.

“I get a bit nervous but never to that point and I was driving and thinking ‘I want to go home’ because I was too scared about not playing well.

"But I started well and I needed 80 minutes in me for my fitness. You can run around a field with a ball on your own all day but playing games is how you get match fit."

Randall will be looking to make his mark as the title run-in begins, but not before a cup semi-final against Neath this weekend.


Share This Story: