We’ve updated our Privacy Policy in accordance with changes to data protection laws. If you’d like to read our Privacy Policy, please click here.

Davies was confident of clinching bonus point

Tuesday 10th January 2023

Callum Davies always felt Pontypool RFC would find a way to pick up the bonus point in the second half against Cardiff Met RFC.

With three tries in the bag and controlling the majority of the second half, Pontypool were pushing hard for that all-important fourth try that would have earned the bonus point but no matter what they tried it continued to elude them.

It was looking to be a frustrating afternoon as the clock ran down but flanker Callum Davies never saw it that way and was confident the team would find a way through.

Patient play from a lineout saw the ball switched from left to right numerous times before the ball fell invitingly for replacement prop Dylan Kelleher-Griffiths to go over in the corner on 75 minutes, much to the relief and enjoyment of the home support.

It had been a lively and feisty opening 40 minutes at Pontypool Park. The hosts held a slender 12-7 advantage thanks to Deon Smith and Scott Matthews scores, and a conversion from Matthew Jarvis.

However, in the second half they started to control proceedings and once Ieuan Jones notched their third of the afternoon, Pontypool piled on the pressure as they chased the fourth.

The Archers defended resolutely and continued to keep Pooler at bay and with the clock ticking down it looked like the hosts would have to settle for just the four points on their return to action following a five-week break.

With just five minutes left on the lock the pressure finally told as Kelleher-Griffiths was on hand to dive over in the before centre Pat Lewis added a fifth score in the final seconds, which made the score seem like it was a more routine victory than it was.

“It was a good old slog,” admitted Davies.

“Both teams have had a lot of time off over Christmas and they definitely came down to give us a game.

“I don’t think the conditions suited us but we had great sessions on Tuesday and Thursday and we bought that to the game.

“It wasn’t pretty but we got the win and we got the bonus point so we’re happy with that.

“They are a bit of a running team, they are young, fit boys so I think the weather did us a favour.

“It just proves we can play any type of rugby and today we did well to stick together and grind the win out.

“You just play what’s in front of you. We just had to do what we had to do to get the win and we got it.

“I think all the boys had it in their heads that it was going to come it was just where and when.

“I think the subs came on and gave us a bit of a lift and we got there in the end but I always knew we were going to come away with a bonus point.”

Flanker Davies put in a battling performance and picked up the man of the match award as Pooler continued to keep pace with leaders Neath RFC, who sit two points ahead with a game in hand.


Share This Story: